Monday, February 16, 2009

GARDEN SHOW

Having undergone the vagaries of a ravaging winter with snow and cold, I attended the Garden Show at the Hamburg Fair Grounds. Enamored with the thought of seeing colorful flowers and floral displays, I took the niceness of a sunny Sunday afternoon to have my fill of floral sights. However outside of a tulip display and a few small sites, my thirst was unquenched. There were multiple displays of machinery and building supplies. Not to be discouraged, I said. Kevin O'Conner from This Olf house was there with a presentation.



He began the first part of his presentation by echoing a part of the TV program which presents
an object to be identified. The one who presented the most outlandish explanation would be give a "This Old House" t-shirt. I joined in the fun with
glee. I explained to the audience that the object was part of NASA' space exploratioon project. It was the casing for a multidirectional microphone for extra-vehicular exploration of the solar wind. I noticed there was some probablility attatched to my version by noticing that there was not too much obection to that conceptualization. Having completed the exercise, Kevin asked for a decision from the audience and my explanation drew the widest clap and won the t-shirt.




Mr. O'Connor went on to explain the process of televising the renovations being done of a Brooklyn Brownstone with a slide show depicting the production of the program to be aired and the personell involved in the making. It was interesting to hear the story behind the making of the TV series which I enjoy watching. Some of the humourous episodes of the team working around Manhattan such as shutting down the Brooklyn Bridge for a few hours to shoot the scenes describing the mileu of the Big Apple.
The flower-thirst was abated with his presentation.






Here are some scenes of the show. Kevin O'Connor meeting people after the presentation and the signing of autographs. I chatted with Kevin for a time and was homeward bound.












No comments: